Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not in Kansas anymore!

I was in a pool my brain was sure of that. But there is something dead wrong with breathing underwater. My brain was sure of that as well. As soon as I went under the surface my brain started screaming at me: "What the F are you doing??? Get that thing out of your mouth and swim for you life!!! Swim for your life! Go for the surface! You're going to drown!" I was having my own little panick attack while everyone else looked so calm. I was fighting the urge to explode and go to the surface(6 inches above my head).I was questioning if this was a good thing to do. Instructor? What bloody instructor? I was the only one in the pool (except for seven other people who were going to stare at me if I surfaced in a panic) and I was going to die. And so it went; my first day of scuba training. I spent the day fighting the urge to swim for my life.I think the only reason I stayed that day was peer pressure. I was NOT going to be the older, weird ,wussy woman who could not take the heat. I came back the next day. More fighting against instinct. It is so weird to breathe under water, it's just all wrong. I can't compare it to anything. Any ideas? Third day of training,we are in the ocean three hours from shore. We all get ready, get in the water and begin our descent to a depth of forty five feet. I am very busy telling myself not to panic. When we hit the bottom we are supposed to fully DE-flate our Bouancy device so we can stay at the bottom. Instead of hitting my DE-flate button, yes , I hit the IN-flate button. The more I go up, the more I press the IN-flate button in a panic. Kind of like the elderly that hit the gas instead of the brake and end up going through their house. I'm looking down between my fins at seven people looking up at me. My bouancy device is so full of air I look like a blimp. And of course I am screaming. (Remember sound travels well through water.) I am struggling and kicking and flailing my one arm, the other arm is busy pushing the IN-flate button. Just as my head pops up to the surface I realize what I have done. Chit! I quickly hit my DE-flate button and sink,slowly,ever so slowly, in front of everyone, back down to the group. My instructor tilts his head to one side and gives me the " Are you okay sign". I sign back "Of course, yes of course" just a little mix up guys. Just a little mix up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing :)...I've actually been scuba diving in St. Thomas. I felt the panic (I hit the mouth piece for expelling water from your mouth -- thought it was the end -- had to keep talking to myself to calm down). In my experience, I was one of the "seven" waiting for the "one" who kept floating to the top. The instructor had to keep retrieving him. 30-40 minutes later and in 25 ft of clear water with lots of colorful little fishes (there's more to the store, where I rubbed up against some fire coral and thought I was leaving a trail of blood and an invitation to any sharks in the area), anyhow, back to the orioginal story. The "one" eventually ran out of air in his tank and the instructor had to take him back to shore. Which meant that we were left in 25 feet of water, without an instructor and no knowledge of what to do if he didn't return. Panic was at bay just waiting to take me! Obviously, I survived...The End
Sandy