Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Kara told me that I would lose everything I had... at least once.

I forgot to tell you guys this story. So here goes. I am in Australia all of one day and already I had lost 25% of my socks. While I was on the boat being whisked away to a deserted island, one of my socks was jumping ship. I got out my rain jacket to ward off the wind and apparently one of my four socks fell out of my bag unnoticed, well at least until I was cold later that day. "Chit" only one sock. Damn 25% of them gone. And the boat is long gone. Long gone. So okay Kara comes into mind, she said this would happen. So I spend a couple nights with one cold foot and then... I jump into the owner of the race's car to go to another check point. He loses his wallet in the car, we are tearing apart the car looking for his wallet and there it is... my sock! "Chit" the bed! My sock. Turns out the owner of the boat gave the sock to a volunteer who gave it to the head guys, they put ot their car and forgot completely about the sock until I got in their car just by chance. Wow! I'm back on track. Until I take a shower after the race 4 days later. I take 100% of my clothes into the shower. One dirty outfit off, one clean one on. Later that day I go to put my second pair of socks on (cold feet) and I'll be damn; now I 've lost 50% of my clothes. "Chit" I look everywhere, I ask at the campground office, I tell people at the race HQ just in case I left them somewhere at the race CP's, because of course, I can't remember where I had them last. The next day at the awards ceremony Nev, a race volunteer, comes over to me and says " I've got your clothes" . Whooo Hooo! How the hell? She said she had asked after I had at the campground office and they had indeed found them; on the back of the shower door. She took them thinking I would not return to the campground but knowing she would see me at the ceremony. Turns out all of the three times I checked the shower my clothes were swinging on the back of the door. The cleaning people found the clothes after my looking for them. I'm back to 100% of my clothing! Well not quite. I lost my beautiful purple shirt, and this time it did not return. I think I left it in a car I hitched in. Oh well. Kara told me this would happen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haiku for Traveling Socks


My socks chase me far
across the continental
trek. Purple shirt lost.


Seriously, Tracy! That is too funny. You have magic socks. I love it.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

How is it that you have four socks to last you a year on the road, and when you come here for an over-night, we can't see the the carpet in our house because you have so many clothes on the floor? Amazing...!

Anonymous said...

Totally love the haiku Laurie! I think Tracy's mascot should be a sock puppet. Something that will signify that all things lost will thus return... in some way or another... at some time or another...

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy,
Just letting you know I'm checking in on you. Very entertaining. :-)
- Judy

Anonymous said...

I read this to Katie & she said that it sounds more like the adventures of Kara. I hope that you are not naked when you finish this trip! We love your comments. "Chit" is a hoot!!! Careful in the jungle.

Anonymous said...

Your on the right track, Tracy...I lost so much I learned how to live without it all...dont have socks...travel to a warmer climate...that type of thing...eventually I just went home empty handed with a head full of memories! I miss talking to you so much! Love Kara

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having great fun losing and rediscovering all your stuff! You haven't come across Michelle's glasses, have you!?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy-Jen and Sare are home and back to work!! Jen is really suffering from jet lag, race lag and every other kind of lag. Bike boxes were lost for about 36 hours, but finally made it to the US. Will hopefully meet with Cindy on Thursday to give her the cameras and the "key". Love your stories. Miss talking to you. Love Big Jen